17 April 2012

Beginning the Journey

I have PCOS. If you don't know what that is and want to know more, you can google it and there will be more information than you will ever be able to finish reading. The bottom line for me and relative to this journey, though, is that it is very very easy to gain weight and nearly impossible to lose weight. I've been on every "normal" diet known to man and generally I will lose 5 pounds and not another ounce. I've done Atkins, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Calorie Count, Slim-Fast, and even the old school plan of a 2000 calorie day. Nothing happenned. Nothing.

So, in light of all this, I thought I would try medi-fast. Sounds like a good idea, right? WRONG. First of all, it's insanely expensive. (Who can afford to pay $16 a box for cereal bars?) Second of all, the plan keeps a person to around 900 calories a day. I'm pretty sure that I would become the meanest person ever on 900 calories a day...especially if it consists of nothing but, let's face it, chocolate milk and meal bars or cereal bars or whatever they are. (Let's forget the fact that I heard it all tastes disgusting and I need to actually like the food I'm eating if I can't have much of it anyway.)

So, I did research. I read diet plans. I crunched numbers. I debated spending ungodly amounts of money on terrible food. Then, out of nowhere, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I can do this. I can plan my own diet. I can restrict my own calories. I can make sure I am getting adequate nutrition. I can buy regular food from a regular grocery store (or 4, I'll get to that a little later).

Are y'all ready? Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment